Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hello Again

Have I lost all my readers? I’m very sorry to be so remiss in blogging, but I seem to be very busy here in paradise! It’s amazing how the days just slip by even though we often don’t do much of anything. Let’s see, how have we been spending our time since New Years? I’m not sure I remember…it’s a blur of wandering about Hope Town, walking on the beach, and slurping mango daiquiris (Lynn’s favorite cocktail)…hmmm, maybe that’s why it’s a blur!?

First we weathered the big Norther that blew about 30 knots and caused unseasonably cool temps for about 3 days. But, it was OK because I finally did some actual work. Of course I didn’t let on to my boss that the inclement weather was the primary reason I got anything done (oops, I wonder if he’s reading this?!). We had the gang over for a big spaghetti dinner and an evening of Captain Ron, the classic sailing flick, because we were all getting a little cabin fever.

One of the highlights during this part of the trip was going to Captain Jacks to play BINGO, their Monday night draw. Of course, they call it JACKS, which you have to yell out if you win. And, guess what, I did! It was a big night so the pot was $222. Unfortunately I had to split it with some bratty kid, but it was still enough to buy all the drinks for the table, pay for our JACKS fun and walk away with $35…not too shabby!

Another event that will stand out in our memories was spotting a 6-foot Nurse Shark in the shallow water just outside the Hope Town Harbour (yes, I am Canadian). We were actually heading out to snorkel on the reef when I asked Lynn, “What’s that brown thing over there?” We moseyed over in our dingy and sure enough it was a shark! We watched him from the safety of our craft until he swam off. Needless to say we altered our snorkeling plans.

We discovered that it is a very small world, especially in the Bahamas, and have met some really great people. First we met Jessica and Drew on our snorkeling trip. Not only did Jessica and I have tons in common, they recently bought the same sailboat as our first Coyote and have it in charter where we did. We are definitely looking forward to connecting with them again. Then we stopped by Heinz and Jaqueline’s boat to say hello because they were from Montreal, my home town. It turned out that they owned a business just about a mile from my childhood home. They were lovely people and invited us over for cocktails. Then we bumped into Hugh at Nippers, who we knew from our Marina in Baltimore. He had been hopping around the islands and there he was in the same bar. Actually, that’s not all that surprising because it was the Sunday Pig Roast, an event that draws people from all over. We had gone there with Sheila and Buddy from Alabama, a very fun couple. Of course I liked Sheila immediately, not only because she has the same name as my sister, but she has that great southern drawl. When she says Beth, it comes out Bay-eth…I love it! But, that’s the best thing about cruising, all the wonderful people you meet.

We had a few other mini adventures exploring the local area in our dingy, including a splashy jaunt over to Marsh Harbor for some supply shopping and lunch at Curly Tails. We also zoomed down to Sea Spray at the far end of Elbow Key, again for lunch and a change of scenery. Dale and I tried to jump start Maggie, the fire engine, but were thankfully not successful. On our way back we stopped at Tahiti Beach, which is just a pretty as it sounds. I got hooked on Conch Burgers (pronounced Conk…right Jami?) at Munchies…a little roadside stand that has the best to offer for only $5! We have also put on a few pounds from indulging in Vernon’s bread and Key Lime Pie.

So, by now you have probably figured out that we have been doing a little too much eating and drinking and not enough exercising. Although I am still wearing my bikinis, I feel that I am not as svelte as when I started out on this trip. Sorry Jonathon, my personal trainer, who helped me get in shape in a mere three months when I suddenly realized that I would have to don a bathing suit. Our deal was that I would not gain any weight while away. I guess I need to break out the exercise gear I brought along with such good intentions…hahahahahaha! No wait, I think I hear a Bahama Mama calling my name...

1 comment:

Thepoz said...

Hi Beth/Lynn, Its me...over here in the corner...ok a little closer...noooow you found me! Yes yes I'm the one shivering burried in this snow we have here. Started about 2pm, its now 8pm and still snowing! Some of us don't have to worry about gaining weight and how we look in our bathing suits cause its so cold out we have to dress like Nanuk of the North. How lucky can one girl get. So sorry to hear you have nothing to do but eat,drink & frolic. Whats this about Lynns favorite drink??? hummmm